Southwestern Chicken Casserole
Updated October 19, 2016
- 10 Min
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
- READY IN
- 50 Min
With salsa, chili powder, bell peppers and tortillas, this Southwestern Chicken Casserole is a fiesta on your plate! And a healthy one at that! Don't be surprised if you want to break out the sombreros for this diabetic-friendly dish!
What You'll Need:
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
4 (6-inch) no-added-salt corn tortillas, torn
cup reduced-fat, shredded Jack cheese
cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
cilantro leaves, for garnish
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, garlic and chili powder. Add to skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add oil to hot skillet. Add onion and pepper; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup salsa in bottom of dish. Top with half the tortilla pieces, half of chicken mixture, and half of vegetable mixture. Pour half of remaining salsa over vegetables and top with half the cheese. Repeat layers once, except cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Calories from Fat
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
.12 26 16.