Healthier General Tso's Chicken
Updated February 06, 2017
- SERVING SIZE
- 5 pieces of chicken
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Our Healthier General Tso's Chicken is oven-fried with a special coating, so that you still get all that crispy-yumminess that's in the traditional takeout dish without all the extra fat. Plus, we lowered the sodium by using reduced ingredients in the sauce. Now that's what we call a win!
What You'll Need:
cup whole wheat flour
cup liquid egg substitute
cup crushed corn flake cereal
pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place flour in a shallow dish, egg substitute in another shallow dish, and cereal in a third shallow dish. Dip each piece of chicken in flour, egg substitute, and cereal, coating completely. Place on baking sheet. Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in center.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine broth, vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, tomato paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into soy sauce mixture and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Place chicken in a large bowl, pour sauce over chicken, and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 5
Calories from Fat
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
.01 27 17.