Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
Soup is good for the soul, and our soul-soothing Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings recipe has been modified by our Test Kitchen, so that you can enjoy the heartiness and still stick to your healthy eating routine. We know you're going to love this easy soup recipe, because it's the best of both worlds: low calorie and health conscious cooking combined with timeless flavor we all know and crave!
What You'll Need
- 7 tablespoons reduced-fat baking mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 can (9-3/4-ounce) fat-free chicken breast in water, drained
What to Do
In a medium bowl, stir together baking mix, water, and thyme to make soft dough.
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring chicken broth and parsley to a boil. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls into broth. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered 10 minutes. Add chicken, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until dumplings are thoroughly cooked.
- If you prefer not to use canned chicken, you can always use substitute with leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. If you have the time, you can also boil some chicken for this recipe. We suggest using about 12 ounces. Of course, any changes to the recipe will result in different nutritional information.
- Looking for "How-To" tips when it comes to chicken dishes? We've got just the thing! Take a look at our video How to: Cut Up a Whole Chicken!
- This is one of our favorite childhood comfort foods. For more recipes like this, check out our collection of Healthy Comfort Food Recipes.
Read NextEasy Hamburger Soup