Greek Spinach Pie
- COOK TIME
- 58 Min
Our Greek Spinach Pie is a healthier version of the Mediterranean country's traditional spanakopita. We've captured the flavor and spirit of this Old World classic without all the old-time work.
What You'll Need
- 1 (10-ounce) container refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 ounces low-fat crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 8 egg whites
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unroll the pizza dough and form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten the dough with your hands, then roll out the dough to form a 12-inch circle. Place in the pie plate to form a crust.
- Lightly coat a medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic, and basil. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onion is tender, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cottage cheese and feta cheese until creamy and well mixed. Add the evaporated milk and egg whites and continue beating until well combined. Stir in the onion mixture and spinach.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
Read Next7 Healthy Squash Casserole Recipes