Italian Eggplant Casserole
Updated January 23, 2018
Bring the flavors of Italy into your kitchen with our delicious Italian Eggplant Casserole! This recipe is a healthier, lighter version of it's original counter part. With all the yummy flavors and amazing textures, you're going to find it hard to believe it's made for a diabetic-friendly lifestyle! This is a perfect any-time dinner that you can cook up for the whole family.
What You'll Need:
1 (1-pound) eggplant, peeled, cubed
cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
cup liquid egg substitute
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon Italian seasoning
teaspoon black pepper
2 tomatoes, sliced
What To Do:
- In a soup pot, bring 2 inches water to a boil. Add eggplant and cook 20-30 minutes covered until soft; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mash eggplant with a fork. Stir in 1/4 cup bread crumbs, the egg substitute, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Spread eggplant mixture in prepared baking dish and top with tomato slices. Sprinkle tomatoes with remaining bread crumbs and coat with cooking spray.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and brown around edges.
Before You Start Cooking!
- TIP: For some added pizzazz, in a skillet over medium heat, cook and stir 1/3 cup chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves until onion is tender. Stir into eggplant mixture, then bake.
- If you like this recipe, be sure to check out the rest of our collection of easy casserole recipes for more mouthwatering goodness!
- Fun Fact!
- Eggplant is not a vegetable, but actually considered a berry! It's also related to the tomato. No wonder they go so well together in recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Calories from Fat
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
.03 08 17.