Chicken Taco Bake
- SERVING SIZE
- 3/4 cup
- COOK TIME
- 35 Min
There's enough of a fiesta in this casserole to excite anyone's taste buds. Our Chicken Taco Bake is a Tex-Mex lovers dream and it's healthier for you too, 'cause it's made with lots of spinach, fresh salsa, and reduced-fat cheese.
What You'll Need
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 12-ounces) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cup fresh salsa, divided
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat, shredded Mexican blend cheese
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8- x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken, pepper, onion, and garlic and cook 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in spinach, chili powder, and cumin.
- Evenly spread 1/2 cup of salsa in bottom of baking dish. Top with half of the tortilla pieces and half of the chicken mixture. Spoon 1/2 cup of salsa over the chicken. Repeat layers with tortilla pieces, chicken mixture, and salsa. Cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes, uncover, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and hot in center.
Add a pop of color and taste by garnishing with some chopped cilantro and avocado slices!
Read NextChicken and Squash Casserole