Mushroom and Zucchini Risotto
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Risotto may be just another name for rice, but Mushroom and Zucchini Risotto is no plain old rice dish. This Italian-style side dish is chock-full of tasty garden tidbits!
What You'll Need
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups long- or whole-grain rice
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
What to Do
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat and saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add rice and zucchini, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add to rice mixture, cover, and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy and well combined, and all the liquid is absorbed. Serve immediately.
To make this a gluten-free recipe, use nonstick cooking spray with no flour added, rice that has not been enriched, gluten-free vegetable broth, and seasoning with no added starch from a gluten-containing source.
Read NextDreamy Sweet Potato Bake