Sausage, Peppers, & Onion Foil Packets
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Sausage, peppers, and onions are a state fair-food favorite, but they aren't always the healthiest choice. That's why we came up with this diabetic-friendly version that satisfies your cravings without ruining your diet. Our Sausage, Peppers, & Onion Foil Packets are easy to make (in the oven or on the grill!) and deliver lots of flavor!
What You'll Need
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 (13-ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup low-sodium spaghetti sauce
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut 4 (12-inch) squares of aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine red and green bell peppers, onion, garlic powder, and black pepper; toss until evenly coated. Divide vegetable mixture evenly onto center of each piece of foil.
- Place sausage slices evenly on vegetables. Spoon spaghetti sauce evenly over sausage and vegetables. Wrap foil securely, leaving room for steam to circulate; seal edges tightly. Place packets on a baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Open packets carefully, as steam may be released. Serve immediately.
- If you'd like, you can sprinkle each serving with a little bit of reduced-fat, shredded mozzarella cheese right before serving (not calculated in nutritional information).
- This makes a great grilling recipe too! To make it on the grill, just preheat your grill to medium-high heat, place packets on the grill, close the grill cover, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Read NextBarbecued Turkey Loaves