Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- SERVING SIZE
- 1/2 cup
- COOK TIME
- 40 Min
With salsa, chili powder, bell peppers and tortillas, this Southwestern Chicken Casserole is a fiesta on your plate! And a healthy one at that! Don't be surprised if you want to break out the sombreros for this diabetic-friendly dish!
What You'll Need
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 (6-inch) no-added-salt corn tortillas, torn
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat, shredded Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, garlic and chili powder. Add to skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside.
- Add oil to hot skillet. Add onion and pepper; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray. Spread about 1/2 cup salsa in bottom of dish. Top with half the tortilla pieces, half of chicken mixture, and half of vegetable mixture. Pour half of remaining salsa over vegetables and top with half the cheese. Repeat layers once, except cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro.
- If you like our Southwestern Chicken Casserole, then you'll also like our collections of easy casserole recipes, Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipes: Easy Chicken Casseroles, and Healthy Chicken Recipes.
- You might also like these southwestern-style diabetic dinner recipes. For more, click here!
|Healthy BBQ Ranch Salad||Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken|
Read NextChicken and Squash Casserole