Meatloaf on a Sling
Gather the family around for a meatloaf that the whole gang is going to love. This recipe for Meatloaf on a Sling comes from "The Diabetes Fast-Fix Slow-Cooker Cookbook," and is one of those recipes you can have cooking while you're out and about, 'cause it's made in a slow cooker!
What You'll Need
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
What to Do
- Lightly coat a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine the ketchup, water, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Combine the beef, bell peppers, onions, oats, flaxseed, egg substitute, cayenne, salt, and 3 tablespoons of ketchup mixture in a medium bowl. Shape into a loaf about 4 x 6 x 2 inches. Store remaining ketchup mixture in the refrigerator until needed.
- Fold each of the foil sheets in half lengthwise; coat the foil strips with cooking spray. Crisscross the strips in a spoke-like fashion to act as a sling. Place the loaf in the center of the spokes.
- Lift the ends of the foil strips to transfer the loaf to the cooker, leaving the foil in place during cooking. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or on high for 2 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of meatloaf reaches 160F.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Spoon the remaining ketchup mixture evenly over the top of the meatloaf. Let stand, uncovered, 15 minutes to absorb flavors and for easier handling. Remove the meatloaf by lifting the loaf with the foil strips from the cooker.
Read NextMeatloaf on a Sling